|—||Brad Meltzer, The Inner Circle (via traceyhamilton)|
I actually adore her because I’ve NEVER seen a black person get to be so fucking frank and honest about racial injustice on tv.
She’s real, she’s smart, she’s witty, she’s informed and she’s fucking unapologetic. I’m obsessed.
HERE FOR THIS
young.black.educated.confident. i don’t see a thug here. at all.
"I’m better at life than you."
This is really fucking powerful.
Some other facts about Josephine Baker (Freda Josephine McDonald)
- She first married at the age of 13
- She danced alongside Ethel Waters at the Plantation Club in New York City
- She tried to bring her career to America in 1936 but the racism forced her back to France
- She was a member of the Free French forces during WWII
- She also worked for the French Resistance during WWII. She smuggled messages in her underwear and music sheets.
- She was awarded the Croix de Guerre and the Legion of Honour for her work with the French military
- She was married 4 times
- She adopted 12 children from around the world
- She attended the March on Washington and was one of the speaker’s
- In 1973 she finally got to perform at Carnegie Hall in NYC
- Princess Grace of Monaco was a friend of Josephine Baker
- Josephine Baker died in her sleep of a cerebral hemorrhage on April 12, 1975 at the age of 69
- Over 20,000 people attended her funeral procession in Paris
- May 20th is Josephine Baker Day as declared by the NAACP because of her Civil Rights work
always reblog this fucking fabulous lady
No words. She was also with Talib who was told by police to keep his hands up or they’ll blow his brains out. And some resident protestors are exhausted with everything and saying that street medics told them they’re experiencing a subcategory of PTSD.
Pushing your own boundaries sexually to please your partner is not an expression of ‘love’. Making yourself uncomfortable, making sexual ‘sacrifices’ (i.e. engaging in kinks you’re not comfortable doing) is not being a good partner. Being a good partner does not involve making yourself sexually uncomfortable or letting your partner coerce you into doing things you don’t want to do, and don’t ever let someone try to convince you otherwise.
We’re not people really. Our concerns are not America’s concerns. We are just here for entertainment. We’re a convenient treasure trove of limitless creativity to be pillaged, watered down, and re-purposed for White audiences and the people getting rich from bastardized stereotypes and simplified caricatures of everything we bring to the table have nothing to say when shit gets really real.
THAT’S WHY YOU DON’T FUCKING EVER TALK TO ME ABOUT MILEY, OR IGGY, OR FUCKING MACKLEMORE.
John Legend doesn’t take shit.